Access to Markets
Transportation infrastructure, such as the Wellcamp Airport and the proposed Inland Rail, will improve the capacity of the transport industry and create opportunities for primary producers in the Maranoa. International markets, including the lucrative economies of China and India, will be easily accessible via the Brisbane West – Wellcamp Airport. From a rail freight perspective, the proposed inland rail project will increase the capacity of the network between the Maranoa and Brisbane. This will improve the competitiveness of the rail freight industry in southern Queensland and allow producers to transport their commodities directly to the Port of Brisbane with ease.
The increasingly affluent Asian tourist market will continue to drive the domestic industry in the coming years. Tourism operators in the Maranoa region are set to capitalise on this growth, as a significant portion of the market demographic want to experience the natural landscapes that Australia has to offer.
The region has the capacity to cater for the following tourism markets:
- International visitors seeking to experience the ‘outback’ – including national parks, bird and nature watching and ‘glamping’
- Arts and culture – arts trails, artist retreats and cultural events and festivals
- Four-wheel driving, including tag-along tours
- Coach tours – including niche tour operator markets
- MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events) – e.g. regional industry/government conferences
- Regional sporting events
- Educational tourism
- Spa and wellness tourism