Having a healthy and happy life includes having a well-balanced diet and making smart food choices. Eating nutritious foods helps us to keep good health and reduce our risk of chronic health problems like heart disease, diabetes, stroke and some cancers.
Eating well does not have to be difficult, bland or expensive. Changing your eating habits can involve small changes to your lifestyle and can mean trying exciting new flavours and variety of foods. You may also feel well and energised as a result!
Be Healthy & Safe Maranoa holds nutrition and cooking activities throughout the region including:
- Mums and Bubs Nutrition Workshops which include Maternal Nutrition, Better Breast Feeding, Introducing Solids and Fussy Feeders. Morning tea is provided and bookings are essential.
- Our Go for Green activities have been designed to help you make good food and meal choices, teaching you new skills and knowledge around cooking and nutrition!
Be Healthy and Safe Maranoa has openings for Go For Green Workshops for 2017. If your community group, workplace or school would like to experience a FREE workshop on healthy cooking, employee wellness, or general nutrition contact Council on 1300 007 662 to find out more.
Discover upcoming health and wellbeing events on the My Maranoa Events Calendar.
For more Food & Nutrition Tips and Tricks:
Nutrition and Recipes
- mySugr Logbook App (available for iPhone and Android) Track all your daily diabetic information including blood sugar, medication and carbohydrates.
- Diabetes Australia app (available for iPhone and Android) News, recipes and more to manage your diabetes.
- H&F Age Challenge (available for iPhone and Android) Track a variety of health determinants including exercise, f&v consumption, and alcohol consumption.
- Cook & Count (available for iPhone and Android) Easy to use, app for cooking from scratch and seeing the nutritional content.
- Gormaya (available for iPhone and Android) Find substitutions for ingredients (great for special dietary requirements).
- The MONASH university Low FODMAP Diet (available for iPhone and Android) For those with IBS this is an evidence based app with guides, recipes and tracking for your low FODMAP diet.
- EatingMindfully (not available for Android) Learn the skill of mindful eating.
- iStepLog iStepLog allows members of the 10,000 Steps program to easily record their daily physical activity and sync it with their online Step Log.
- ORGRAN Gluten Free (available for Android and iPhone) Gluten free recipes, ideas how to use ORGRAN products and a wealth of related health and nutrition information.
- The Coeliac Society of Australia Ingredient List (available for iPhone) Coeliac Australia's Ingredient List details over 800 ingredients and 300 additives used in Australian and New Zealand foods and indicates whether they are safe for inclusion in a gluten free diet.
- Coeliac Australia App (available for Android) Coeliac Australia's Ingredient List details over 800 ingredients and 300 additives used in Australian and New Zealand foods and indicates whether they are safe for inclusion in a gluten free diet.
- My heart, my life (available for Android and iPhone) Heart Foundation app to manage your medicines, health stats including blood pressure and cholesterol, learn about heart attack warning signs and what to do, and get recipes.
- Cookspiration (available for Android and iPhone) A huge range of healthy recipes catering to all dietary needs.
- MyFitnessPal (available for Android and iPhone) Exercise tracker.
- Nike Training Club (available for Android and iPhone) Women's exercise app.