Councillor Puddy Chandler, Portfolio Chair for Community Safety said with the warmer months arriving, now is the time to prepare and keep your pets cool this summer.
"It is important we take care of all our animals in summer, from our smaller pets, such as birds and guinea pigs to horses and livestock," Cr Chandler said.
Below are some tips to keep your pet cool:
- Provide plenty of fresh, cool water in large containers. Be sure to provide numerous sources of water in case one is spilt.
- Walk your dog in the coolness of the early morning or evening, especially on very hot days.
- Fleas and ticks love the warmer weather. Ensure your pet is kept up to date with treatments.
- Make sure your pets and livestock have access to shade.
- Never leave your pet in the car in warm weather.
For more information about keeping your pets cool, please contact Council's Community Safety Team on 1300 007 662.